Day School was established in 1882, just two years after settling
the village of Washakie. The first teacher was James J. Chandler.
Chandler taught the students nursery rhymes and simple songs,
presumably to acquaint them with the English language. The students
ranged in age from quite young to young adults.
In the 1920’s a new Washakie school building was built.
It was an improvement over the old white church building which
until this time had served as school classes. For the first time
swings, slides, and other playground equipment were brought in
and the younger children welcomed a sandbox. First through eight
grades were now being taught in the school.
For years the Washakie Community flourished, but population began
to decline with the onset of World War II and the availability
of better-paying jobs elsewhere. By the early 1940’s many
Shoshone had moved away from Washakie and the number of residents
dwindled to the point that a school was no longer feasible. The
few students remaining were bused to Fielding, Utah for school.